7.21.2009

When is it too extreme?

That's a question I've had brewing in my head for a while now. With the thought of shining Louboutins dancing above my head, I wonder: when does the price of a shoe become too much?

Recently I attended a party where the average age of the women in attendance was 40. When asked about the price of the shoes I had on, (Franco Sarto Fall pump in Patent Croc Grey) I replied honestly, as I always (try) to do. They were $114.98. (Of course I bought them on my employee discount from my store, but that's besides the point...)

When they heard that price, their eyes practically bulged straight out of their heads. One women told me I was, quote, "Damn lucky (I) don't have the responsibility of feeding a family!". Yeah, I am lucky. I'm lucky I don't have to buy Mr. Junior Pizza-for-Breakfast spider-man sneaks, nor do I have to buy Missy Coco Pigtails and Sparkles a pair of slip on's. I'm lucky I have a couple hundred bucks to spend on myself every month. Yeah.

All this over a hundred dollars?

Which of course to me, knowing the quality of the brand I purchased, and the comfort, had no problem shelling out. To this woman, and her co-herts, it was an insane price. To me: average. I understand that yes, they do have other people to worry about, whereas I just have myself, and maybe my dog on a good day, but does that really garner me the reaction I recieved? Is 100 dollars too much to spend on a pair of kitten heels?

The leaping point in my thought process brought me to designer shoes (how that always happens, I don't know. I swear. Really). The Christian Louboutin Hyper Prive's, which I've been eyeing for a year now, retail anywhere from $750-$900. To me, I know they are worth the money, I just don't have it. When I talk about this with other people, their eyes glaze over, and their chins wobble. Is 800 dollars too much to spend on a pair of patent black pumps with a red sole?

In truth, I would never, ever, spend over $400 on a pair of shoes. Some people find even that amount of money outrageous. For now, I will scoure the Bay that is E for deals on slightly used, or out of season Loubs, or any other designer shoe I crave at the moment, and that suits me fine. Maybe if I had a higher income I would have no qualms about dropping 2k on a pair of Chanel stompers.

Maybe.

Then again are shoes just a combination of leather, plastic and stiches? Are they really worth more than $100?

I don't know. You tell me.

Go.

No comments: